Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Do the Dew


Not much exciting for me happened last weekend. The only racing for me last week was a TT at Murphy Hanrehenan....10 sweet miles of singletrack at a zoom zoom pace, and I set the course record.

The more exciting happening for our team was a Solo win at 24 Hours of Afton. With our normal team out due to 24x9 being 2 weeks earlier, Dan Dittmer represented Velo Rochester on the hills of Afton.
For those that don't know Dan, he is my co-worker who I recruited for Velo Rochester so Jo Mama wouldn't have to play alone at endurance events. Dan's background is in College level track and Semi-Pro/Pro adventure racing....more recently, he has been climbing mountains (Mt. McKinley this past spring and Kilimanjaro last spring) and doing painfully long mtbk races.

I don't have a race recap, but he got to quit riding 3 hours early because of the large lead he had built up through the night. I do have some cool stats from him for your enjoyment (hey we are Engin-nerds this is what we do).
From Dan:
Here are the stats from the Salsa 24. The laps were only 6.5 miles according to my GPS but there was 1100 feet of climbing per lap. I ran a 8500 calorie deficit despite drinking copious amounts of high fructose corn syrup.

Tally for 21 laps:
136 miles
23000 feet of climbing
pre-race meal - 3 slices of pepperoni pizza
During the race:
12 bottles of Gatorade - 1200 Cal
5 scoops Perpeteum - 650 Cal
5 scoops Heed - 500 Cal
15 cans Mt. Dew - 2550 Cal
3 packages of Shot Bloks - 600 Cal
8 chocolate chip cookies - 400 Cal
_________________________________________
Total consumed during the race = 5900 Calories
Total calories burned during the race = 14300 Calories


15 Cans of Mountain Dew???? Seriously!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

absolutely bad a$$. Tell Dan he is the man for me.

j_mo said...

"Man, I hate you skinny guys that can eat whatever you want."
-person who doesn't understand what it's like to burn more than 500 calories in a workout.

Brendan said...

We had some overweight lady ask us if we had hollow legs when Dan and I were at a buffet last week...so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Dan! This is Alan (I took a distant second). Dan was a consistent machine. He raced his own race and the strategy paid off. I wish I could have continued on to push the lap count higher, but I had a knee injury and had to hang it up around noon.

I may have to try that high fructose strategy next year. :-) I can't imagine the headache coming down off that stuff though.

Once again, pass my congrats to Dan. He did a fine job representing you guys.

-Alan