Friday, June 01, 2007

Wanna Climb?

Last night, the dudes at Penn decided to see how much climbing they could make us do in 4 laps. All in all, it was one of the better courses of the year. Apparently a lot of people were complaining about the climbing afterwards, but Buck Hill is just that...a hill.
I went for the whole shoot at the beginning, but not on purpose...accidentally, my bike was in the big ring. I found that out when I looked down on the second lap. Either way, no one came around me, and as I found out after the race, Paul crashed on the first loose corner taking out Fisher, Sam and the other fasties. I guess that is a good reason to get the holeshoot=)
I rode hard and alone for the first couple laps. I almost popped from going hard on the first lap, and I had to let up a little allowing Sam O to catch me. We rode together for the third lap. He is really strong and was hanging tough. I gapped him once on the third lap but was stopped by a lap rider, and he caught me. On the final lap, I just gave 'er on the steep climbs. I gapped Sam, and then his shifting went south so I never really saw him again.
I ended up being another great day for Velo Rochester. I took first w/ Chris in third. Jen Meyer won on her 28th birthday...man, she is SO old!

An equipment note: I rode the fuel last night for the first time at Buck. I always ride the hardtail out there, but the last time I did, my back hurt from the super bumpy ski hill traverses. The new fuel is so fast, comfortable, and efficient, that I am having a hard time finding a reason to race the hardtail...

No comments: